Continual forward progress.
Marketing. Branding. Creative Design. Community Leadership.
Of the many skills I can bring to your organization, perhaps the most important is the commitment I have to continual forward progress. Not content to rest on programs that seem successful, I'm always looking for ways to lead my team to dig deeper. I'm an agile-thinker with an enormous passion for learning, and I'm ready to bring my skills to bare in an industry that I truly believe in.
I know that my strong work ethic, outgoing personality, commitment to quality, creative enthusiasm and relevant experience can be a valued addition to your organization.
About This Website: My website gives you an overview of my current position, insight into what I am like on a personal level, and links to a gallery of my work. To view project details, click on any photo within the gallery. To request my freelance design pricing or for a full copy of my resume, please use the form on my Contact Me page.
My Current Position
Marketing Director for Kirlin's Hallmark: The Largest Independent Hallmark Retailer in the US
Marketing Director for Kirlin’s Hallmark | June 2009 - Present
I am currently the Marketing Director for largest Hallmark Gold Crown chain in the USA with locations in
9 midwestern states. This is a broad position which encompasses 4 major areas:
Communications Strategy and Analytics Based Marketing
- Multi-channel marketing targeted to a database of over 1.5M people in 9 states including direct mail, catalogs, email, web presence, social media, SMS text marketing and more
- Employed advanced UPC tracking to maximize budget allocations by using data-driven consumer segmentation
- Leveraged CRM (Customer Relationship Management) solutions to offer seamless branding, points of contact
- Increased avg. participation in Kirlin’s Hallmark Loyalty Program to 65% vs. 49% national avg. for all Hallmark stores
Targeting and Media Buys/Budgeting
- Optimized targeting to deliver above industry average returns and drive sales.
- Holiday Greeting Card: 17.1% return, $38 IAT (Individual Average Transaction), and $1.62M in total sales
- Holiday Catalog Offer: 11% return, $39 IAT, $1.1M in total sales
- Kirlin’s Anniversary Mailer: 14% return, $33 IAT $444K in total sales
- Keepsake Ornament Premiere Mailer: 12.3% return, $178 IAT and $892K in total sales
- Managed and reported to our board on an annual discretionary budget of $750K
- Negotiated with vendors shrink expenditures by 4.9% year over year which allowed me to fully fund my roll out for a brand new SMS Text Marketing program without adding to my budget
Branding and Graphic Design
- Graphic design and layout of direct mail, catalog mailers, in-store signage, posters, digital and social media
- Maintained strict branding for Kirlin’s Hallmark and for all affiliated licences and trademarks used in our stores including Disney, NCAA, NFL, NBA, MLB, Marvel, Mattel, Peanuts and more
- Developed and modernized the look of in-store signs and sale communication to match our brand
New Media, Web, and Social Media
- Transformed Kirlin’s outdated media plan with a redesigned website, Facebook and Twitter integration,
- Pinterest compatibility and an SMS text program
- Instituted SMS Text Marketing Program and grew to 26,000 subscribers in under a year
- Delivered a Text Open Rate of 98% and generated over $1M in sales in my program’s first year
Please click the links above for portfolio samples for my work in Direct Mail Marketing, Email and Web Marketing and more. Each piece includes a detailed description of the associated project and the impact it has had on my company.
Campaign Director for US House of Representatives Campaign | May 2015 - September 2015
- Crafted social media strategy, updated and managed website, designed and deployed emails
- Scheduled all media requests, coached and crafted speech messaging, wrote press releases and made all media buys
- Graphically designed all media including donor requests, direct mail and yard signs
- Created the momentum to help my candidate come from behind to win the primary with 60% of the vote.
- Articulated my candidate’s positions in written questionnaires from media to gain endorsements from Chicago Tribune, Peoria Journal Star and Springfield Register
- Secured a nearly-scuttled NBC debate which regionally preempted prime-time TV by creating media buzz and pressure
- Garnered 11% more votes than any democrat in the district in 80 years despite being outspent 1200:1 (lost election)
To view my complete resume and all past positions, please request one from my Contact Me page.